sabato 5 aprile 2008

Last Wednesday I was not in Padua and so again no skype exchange for me. I actually went to Gorizia because a friend of mine got graduated…Lucky her!
For this reason I have nothing to write about the exchange and so I had a look at the online forum to see what’s going on there, and I found very interesting topics of conversation!
The first which attract my attention, deals with something which, to me, marks a very big gap between Italy the USA: the death penalty. Here in Italy we have got many problems like the corruption, the mafia, “le raccomandazioni”, the Church interferences but, luckily, here we don’t have the death penalty. Reading my peers comments, I saw that we do all agree about the fact that the death penalty is something awful, unjust and that goes against all the basic human rights. As far as the justice is concerned, it seems that Italy and the USA are at two extreme poles: on one hand, as Stella said, here in Italy the penalty are often inadequate and thus people do not pay for the crimes committed; on the other had, overseas, the capital penalty may kill people who are just alleged criminals. So, here in Italy everything seems to be quite free, the justice is slow and complicated. In some way you can feel free to do what you want because the worst penalty that you can get is a sentence to life imprisonment (20 or 30 years) but to tell the truth there are often discounts, reduction and if you’re really lucky even an “indultino”! Opposed is the situation in the States, where people run the risk to be killed even if the are innocent because the death penalty does not allow any afterthought.
Personally, I think that every Nation has got its big troubles and issues to face, and even if here in Italy the justice may not offer safety and protections to its citizens, I am very happy that death penalty it’s not in use. No one has got the right to decide about the life of the other people! To kill a criminal it is not a good and democratic solution at all!
Oh, I forget, we are supposed to start thinking about our final project…this means that our course is almost over…L! During this months we analysed a lot of cultural aspects and we actually found out not only differences but also similarities between us and our American peers. Now it’s time to clear up my mind and decide to concentrate on one of the aspects which has particularly struck me…The problem is to take a decision! Right now I am a little bit confused, I have such a big amount of information in my mind that I don’t know how to organize it! I hope to wake up on Monday morning with some clearer ideas about my final project…You know what!? The night is the mother of counsel!

Nessun commento: